In July 1849, the wooden building that was to serve as the lazaret in Tracadie was completed. It was surrounded by a tall fence, also built of wood.
In this new building, the lot of the sick somewhat improved since they were close to their families and they received the help of Doctors Labillois, Gordon and Nicholson. But one of them, Doctor Gordon, continued residing in Bathurst during his twelve years of service and his visits to Tracadie were rather rare. The Lazaret turned into chaos. The lepers, who were forced to fend for themselves, lived in unbelievable filthiness and misery. In the night of September 4, 1852, lepers, in desperation, set fire to the lazaret. From September to July the following year, they were confined to a make shift building where seven persons died. The new lazaret was completed in July 1853. The interior was divided in two large rooms: one for the men and the other for the women. But since the death of Doctor Nicholson, there was still no resident doctor.
In 1852, Father Ferdinand Gauvreau was named parish priest of Tracadie to replace Father Lafrance who was transferred to Memramcook. Father Gauvreau worked very hard for the welfare of the lepers by sending petitions upon petitions to the government and by rallying public opinion with a series of articles in newspapers.